Tuesday 24 March 2015

Eleanor & Park | A review

On Goodreads | Buy

Eleanor and Park is a young adult novel about two teenagers who find their first love in one another during their bus trips to school. Eleanor stands out from the crown with big, red hair and odd clothing where as Park is quite happy blending in and not being noticed by anyone. Despite their differences, among comic books, mix tapes and secret meetings they manage to find that all consuming first true love.

Let's start my saying Rowell is a brilliant writer and clearly has a good memory of what it's like to be a teenager in high school and fall in love for the first time, because this story is perfectly told and completely believable. The characters were really well developed and easy to connect with. I felt like I knew them and felt them both as individuals and as a couple. What really aided to this was the flaws that both characters had which as always helps to really round a character out and make them seem more human.

The story was both heart warming and heart wrenching and had all the qualities that young adult novel with a love story should have. It dealt with all the trials and tribulations of teenage years and find love. It all unfolded beautifully to create a really fulfilling read that had be grinning like a cheshire cat.

I will be honest it's not hugely original although there are some original elements, the story and concept in itself aren't ground breaking literary work. It's a young adult love story and it's the same at it's core as most other's. If you're into that, or want to try some of it this would be a good place to start but if you're looking for something deep and meaningful I'd look elsewhere.

I also felt the ending was a bit of a let down and a bit of a rush to get there. Overall I'd give this book 3 1/2 stars and I'd be interested to try more of Rowell's writing. 

Have any of you read Eleanor and Park? What did you think? Let me know in the comments along with any book recommendations you may have. Also don't forget to follow me on Goodreads to keep up with what I'm reading. 

Until next time

No comments:

Post a Comment