Wednesday 13 May 2015

One year on

It's been a whole year since I arrived in Australia. Yep, a whole twelve months which seems completely ridiculous and unbelievable. It seems like yesterday I boarded that flight at Heathrow, in fact since Jack and I made the decision for me to meet him in Australia after finishing my journalism course. If we'd have been told then, when we sat in one of our local pubs eating fish pie and steak on a cold September evening, what we'd do and go through together out here, I think we'd have thrown up our fish pie and steak from laughter. 


Being out here in Australia with Jack has been the best experience I could have asked for, or even dreamed off. Despite all the doubts I had, and people I love had for me, I think we can all agree that this has been the best thing I could have done. 


I've seen things I thought I might never see, the Sydney Harbour Bridge, Byron Bay to name a few. I've done things that I thought I would never do, feed Kangaroo's, stroke a Koala. But more than that I've learned to do things and also things about myself that I didn't know I could learn. 


I've realised, finally and whole heartedly, that anything I put my mind to I can do. I can fix a leaking polypipe, I can jump off a cliff, even if I make a complete fool of myself doing it, I can do it and I can run faster than an angry cow who wants my guts for garters. I am stronger than I thought and without Australia I'd probably still be questioning my capabilities. 


I've seen such beautiful places and met some amazing people. I'll never forget what people in Australia have done for Jack and I and they're people that I want to be part of our lives. I've met family I hadn't met before and realised how strong family bonds really are. I can honestly say I don't want to go 10 years without seeing family members again, it's far too long even if family ties are completely unbreakable and so easily retrievable. 


Of all the things I've done and seen, the outback and my experience of Australian rural life will be what I'll remember most. The dedication and hard working ethic of those we've met in the outback will inspire me in everything I do. They've taught me what hard work and a real days work really is. But they've also taught me how to use tools I'd never heard off, how to raise a poddy calf and how to be prepared for a change of plan at the drop of a hat. 


Would I change anything? Not in the slightest even the bad days have been an experience. Not every day is for learning something or being taught something, but I've learned to take it easy and enjoy every day. 


I fear this is beginning to sound like some sort of Oscar's speech but the past year has been the most incredible of my life and my family's support has been the perfect thing to accompany me. They've been the best at helping me get our here to do all this, to listen to all the not so funny stories I have to tell and telling me to buckle up and get on when it got a little tough. Although there's things I've missed and times I've wanted to maybe go home I'm so glad I'm here and will be here for a bit longer. I'm not ready for England yet, though I'm always ready for my family and friends which makes me eternally grateful to Mr Facebook messenger and Mrs Skype. 


If anyone reading this is thinking of journeying out to the land down under stop thinking and go. Life's for the living so live it, do it, love it and enjoy every second. 


'You will never feel completely at home again, because your heart will always be elsewhere. That is the price you pay for loving and knowing people in more than one place.' 


Until next time, 

No comments:

Post a Comment