Wednesday 6 May 2015

#currentlyreading

Wow! We're in June already. Let's just take a moment to realise that we're already a month from being half way through the year. It's mad how fast time goes when you're having fun and experiencing awesome things. 

Well being the first of June today, that makes it exactly 5 months, 151 days, since I made my new years resolutions and posted them here. I'd say things are going relatively well on the whole. I've been making healthier choices consciously, keeping as active as possible and being wholly postive. However my reading resolution of reading 25 books in the year has been struggling to pull through the five months of 2015.

However, things seem to be changing.

Up until May, I'd read in total two book. Yep a whole two books in four months. It doesn't take a mathematics prodigy to work out that, that's is a lot behind target. 

Now, I'm not the type of reader who tells myself that I must read a certain amount of books in a month, week or any amount of time really. I read as and when I please, and what I please.!However I know I'm more than capable of reading 25 books a year so I'm determined to succeed. 

You may know from previous posts that I watch a fair few book channels on YouTube and in their monthly reading wrap ups they list endless amounts of books. And it got me thinking how do they do it? So after watching some back catalogues and some Goodreads stalking I discovered that most of them read more than one books at once.

So that's what I've been doing. Dipping into more than one book at a time. At present I've got three on the go (it was four until about three hours ago). That may sound mad to some people but for me it seems to be really working.

In May I read five books. Now it doesn't take a mathematics prodigy to work out that that's more than I'd read in the entire year until May. 

So how does this work? Well I've found that having more than one book open means I'm never in that place where I don't read for a while because I 'don't fancy' reading the book I've got going. 

I've been reading 'The Power of One' by Courtenay for two months now. It's a hard read for me but I'm enjoying it. However I don't always fancy reading it and until last month I was going weeks without reading because I only had that one book on the go. With the four options it means I can go to something else, and read what I want when I want.

So all in all I'm pretty happy with how I'm doing with my resolutions. The thing about resolutions is, you're not alway going to get on top of them straight away some times it's a working progress and if you can look back and say yeah I did it, I got there in the end then you've succeeded but even if you look back and say I didn't get there but I had a damn good try, well that's good too.

Don't forget to let me know how you're going with your resolutions and if you have any reading habits you want to share? And don't forget to follow me on Goodreads to keep up with my reading.

And here's to a happy and bright June,

Until next time

Emily. 


Books read in May:

'Outback Stations' Evan McHugh
'Tomorrow When the War Began' John Marsden
'Wild' Cheryl Strayed
'Travelling Light' Robyn Davidson 
'How to be a Woman' Caitlin Moran 




No comments:

Post a Comment