Wednesday 21 October 2015

Reads & Reading | 2


This past month or so has been a really weird reading month for me. It's not really been what I'd call a slump because I've been reading and been enjoying reading but it's just been slow and I haven't got through as many books as I would have liked. I've also branched into the world of audio books which you will know if you read my 'Currently' blog post a couple of weeks ago. 


However I thought I'd still do a little post about what I've read over the last few weeks, so here it is. 

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry, Rachel Joyce
I really enjoyed this book. It light hearted, fun and a bit emotional at time but it was such an easy read to get through. Harold Fry is a retired man who receives a letter from an old friend one day telling him she is dying. When taking his reply to the letter box a chance encounter with a young girl makes him decide to walk the letter there himself. The book is heart warming and and lovely. With themes of loss, love and moving on from the past it's a good read for curling up  on the couch with in Autumn.

The Night Circus, Erin Morgenstern
A novel about a mysterious circus and how it came to be and the mystery that involves, this is a good book for Halloween. It's not scary but it's mysterious and dark in places but also beautiful. It wasn't as good as I'd anticipated based on all the hype I'd heard hence only 3 stars but it was still enjoyable. It was really beautifully written and the premise was good I just felt that maybe it went on a little long and there was part towards the end that I felt was a but lack lustre and obvious.

Currently Reading

A Game of Thrones, George R R Martin
I'm not really reading this but listening to it on Audio book but I'm really enjoying it that way. I've read it before, as well as the second one but didn't get any further and recently wanted to get back into them but found I'd forgotten a lot of what had happened. They're such big books and I really didn't have the energy to read them both again so I purchased them on Audible and Jack and I have been listening to them on long drives. Definitely recommend.

The Goldfinch, Donna Tartt
I'm really loving this book. It's huge so it's taking it's time but it's really good and despite it's size not hard to read and not intimidating. I've found myself lost in it several times. I'm hoping to get through it this week though, so fingers crossed. It's another book I'd highly recommend though and especially, if you're in the UK, through autumn.

Well that's been my reading month. A little on the low side but I don't feel to down about it like I have done before.

What have you been reading this month? Let me know in the comments or tweet me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment