Friday 16 September 2016

Currently Reading #3

Currently reading

In my last book related post I'd just finished 'Me Before You' and was a bit of a mess about it. Since then I haven't read all that much. When I'm feeling stressed and anxious, which you will know I have been if you've read recent posts, I don't tend to read. I don't tend to do anything creative and I find myself really forcing creativity in an attempt to beat the anxiety. It never works though and I end up getting frustrated with my lack on inspiration and motivation. 

For that reason I decided I'd pick up 'Big Magic' by Elizabeth Gilbert. I bought this book during the last few weeks we were in Australia but I couldn't quite get into it. At the time I had a lot of inspiration and motivation and I put the fact I wasn't gelling with the book down to not being in a place where I felt I needed a kick up the bum from someone preaching about creativity at me - because Gilbert's voice does tend to feel a bit preachy. So I figured when I was feeling completely un-inspired, might be the right time to pick it up.

And I was right. At that time it felt like just what I needed. It was easy to dip in and out of when I felt like it and it did do what it said on the tin. Gilbert's voice does grind on me after a while, she is very self absorbed and it feels a bit like she's constantly bragging about people she knows and all the things she's done. But she has got a way of making you feel motivated to do things. 

I've put it down again for the time being. Now I'm back to myself I don't feel it has the same effect but I'll continue to dip in and out of it. I've also got to that point, like I did with Eat Pray Love not long ago, where I can't cope with Gilbert's cheesy, preacher-like tone. I have a massive love-hate relationship with her.

In the meantime I've picked up We Were Liars by E. Lockhart. This book has been everywhere for a while now and people have been raving about it so I've been looking forward to getting to it. I haven't read much of it so far but what I have read I'm really enjoying and intrigued by. It's dark and mysterious and different to anything I've read for a while. I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes and what the big reveal (that we all know is coming) is going to be.

What have you been reading lately?

Until next time, 

No comments:

Post a Comment