Friday 26 September 2014

Slightly different Apple Crumble



Generally speaking I eat pretty healthily, but if there's one thing I can't resist it's a warm apple crumble on a Sunday after a good roast dinner - no matter where in the world I am. So, as I am generally a healthy eater, I took it upon myself to rustle up a little recipe to satisfy the apple crumble monster inside me whilst being relatively healthy - no baddies in this girls pudding. 

Ingredients

For the crumble
  • 50g porridge oats
  • 50g almonds
  • 1tbsp chia seeds
  • 2tbsp coconut oil (melted) 
  • 1tsp honey 
  • 1tsp cinnamon
For the apples
  • 3 apples 
  • Hanful of goji berries
  • 2tbsp water
  • 1tbsp agave nectar (or other sugar subsitute) 
  • 1tsp cocnut oil
  • 1tsp vanilla extract (preferably organic) 

Method

Blitz and combine the porridge oats, nuts and chia seeds until they are a fine crumbley texture. 

Stir in the melted coconut, honey and cinnamon until the crumble mixture is sticking together. 

Put the water, agave nectar, coconut oil and vanilla extract into a pan until the mixture boils. DO NOT STIR. You're creating a lovely sweet, healthy caramel, stirring will stop the caramelisation process.

Once the mixture boils take it off the heat and leave to cool. 

Grill the apples, I left the skins on but you can take them off if you prefer. They can go a bit leathery in the cooking process but I don't mind that too much. 

Once your apples are golden put them in a bowl and stir in the caramel and goji berries until everything is evenly combined.

Put the apples into an oven proof bowl and top with the crumble. Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes or until golden on top on 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4. 




So that's it. Very simple, very satisfying and no guilt. I served mine warm with blueberry greek yoghurt and it was deliscious. 

You can try this recipe with other fruits as well, pears, rhubarb and berries work really well. Berries are also a really good addition to this recipe.

Try it out and let me know what you think.





No comments:

Post a Comment