Friday 31 October 2014

Not really popcorn, but let's pretend



I admitted last week that I love a sweet snack. One time when a sweet snack is practically a requirement for me is when I’m watching a movie. I love popcorn. I always buy popcorn at the cinema even if it’s expensive and if we’re having a movie night a bag of popcorn with be found in my shopping trolley. Again popcorn isn’t the healthiest snack in the world so I’ve created another little healthy alternative for a few occasions when I want to munch on something when watching a movie but don’t want caramel drizzled popcorn. These are also a lot more filling so you really don’t need many of them, and the recipe is super simple.

We’re making our healthy caramel again. Put 6tbsp of your sugar substitute and 6tbsp of water into a pan and bring them to the boil. Remember not to stir the caramel but let it go a brown, caramel colour before taking the pan of the heat.

Combine ¾ cup of oats and 1/3 cup of shredded coconut in a bowl before adding the caramel to the bowl and combining the two mixtures until the oaty mixture is sticking together. Add 1 tbsp of organic apple sauce and combine again for added sweetness.

Take teaspoon size pieces of the mixture and make them into balls before placing them on a baking tray with greaseproof paper. Bake the little popcorn balls into the oven at 180C for 8-10 minutes. 

And there we have it. Super easy, super quick, super sweet and super filling.

These are great for a movie night in the middle of the week alongside a big bowl of fruit. I’ll be honest on a Friday or Saturday movie night you’ll still find a bag of sweet popcorn in the shopping trolley. 

No comments:

Post a Comment