Saturday 8 November 2014

Books about missing women - which one's for you?



Thrillers aren't normally bag when it comes to reading. I like a book to curl up with in bed that will send me off into a peaceful sleep feeling safe and happy - most of the time. Though I'd like to call myself an adventurous reader (slightly oxymoronic?) I like to branch out and try new things as often as possible so when 'One Step Too Far' by Tina Seskis was send to me earlier in the year I jumped at the chance to read something slightly out of my comfort zone.

Before delving into 'One Step Too Far' the most thriller/crime book I'd read was probably 'Great Expectations', so that gives you an idea of my wanderings in the genre. I was excited to read it and I wasn't disappointed

'One Step Too Far' is the story of a woman who disappears of her own free will in order to escape the life she's been living. Told from mostly Emily/Cat's (same person) point of view, we see her leave her happy, comfortable life and begin life as a slightly reckless Londoner. The question of what drives her to live in squalor with too many flatmates is what drives the novel, Seskis throws clues around - her rebellious twin sister, the possibility of a dark secret, just a path to find herself again. The 'big secret' isn't really necessary as a plot device other than to keep you turning the pages but without the book wouldn't be a mystery/thriller esque book and Seskis uses the device well.

There's snippets of the book told from Emily/Cat's mother, father, sister, best friend and husband Ben which give the book a more rounded perspective and aid in keeping the reader guessing and turning those pages. All the characters are well fleshed out each with their own story and all pretty dark which makes for fun reading.

So it sounds like a great read huh? Shame about the ending.

For me the ending was too contrived, extremely far fetched and out of keeping with the rest of the book. 80% of the book I loved reading and couldn't put it down but the ending just let it down, though I'd still recommend reading it if you're thinking of dipping your toes in this genre or if you're already a big fan and want something a little different and a not quite as thriller-esque as say Gone Girl.

Oh what a smooth transition.

I read 'Gone Girl' in August after being given it by the farmers daughter of the second farm I was working on. When Sarah gave it to me she said 'It's a bit slow to begin with, I couldn't stop reading the middle but the end was crap.' And after reading, if I wasn't writing a whole blog post about the book, well half a blog post, I'd leave it there because it sums it up quite nicely.

The movie for this book has just recently hit cinemas, and has probably finished now, but if you haven't seen it read the book before you pick up the DVD because, although I'm not sure, but I'd assume the film would completely ruin the book for you.

Similarly to 'One Step Too Far', 'Gone Girl' is the story of woman who is, well, gone. Amy Dunne disappears on the day of hers and Nick's anniversary. Nick finds the house a mess showing signs of a struggle. The narrative starts from Nick's point of view and flicks between that and Amy's diary. Parts of Amy's diary added to clues the police keep finding seem to suggest that Nick has caused Amy's disappearance.

The first part of the novel unravels through Nick's story telling and Amy's diary to reveal that Amy and Nick's marriage wasn't all as perfect as it seemed. Nick becomes more and more unlikeable as a character and as a reader you pity Amy though you feel you probably shouldn't. I personally felt slightly uneasy reading this part of the novel. Nick was an uncomfortable narrator and as Sarah had said it was slow, but she had promised it would get good and she was right.

The second part of the book is the part that kept me reading. It's wicked twist changed everything. It kept me hooked and kept me engaged as a reader. I literally didn't put it down for two days. The narrative voice changes, probably for the better, and the story picks up a lot. Sides of the characters were revealed there shocking but also completely entertaining and the story infinitely more dark. Flynn revealed her talent for writing, dark, gritty, unlikeable, crafty women and I loved it.

After all that excitement the ending was bland and boring - simple as that.

Again the book is worth reading for the exciting middle part and I would still recommend it to most people but you have to be willing to plough through the beginning to get to the good stuff and you have to read the end to work out all the little tricks within the middle.

Out of the two I feel 'One Step Too Far' was a more enjoyable read and was more suited to me as someone who was just entering into this genre. It was an easier read and the excitement I got reading it made me want to read more into this genre which I am intending on doing soon. Perhaps the issue with 'Gone Girl' was that I had high expectations for it as I heard a lot of people raving about it and I was quite late on the particular bandwagon.

What's your favourite book in the genre, any recommendations or thoughts on the books let me know in the comments?


No comments:

Post a Comment