Monday 23 February 2015

What I learnt in my week off

Photo credit


Hello all and welcome to a brand new week. I hope it's getting off spiffingly for you. I can't believe we're in the last week of February already, time really does go too fast. Well, I'm back for my week off from blogging and I'm feeling refreshed, rejuvenated and way more inspired than I was at the beginning of last week. If you're wondering what on earth I'm talking about when I say my week off from blogging check out my last post to fill you in. 

For me blogging is a hobby and I don't want it to be a stressful thing and it was feeling a little like that last week. I felt stuck for posts, I had no inspiration to write anything at all and I any creativity had died somewhere. So I knew I needed a week off and it's done me the world off good because I'm back with five blog posts for you this week, that's one every week day, that I'm really excited to share with you so I hope you like them.

Today's post isn't something super exciting but a little one about the things I learned, or reminded myself of, in my week off and the things I need to remember every now and again all the time I'm doing this weird blogging thing. 

Numero Uno. A break is good for creativity. 
Sometimes a good, well earned break is all you need to get those creative juices going. Set the thing to one side, don't look at it and don't think about it too hard and it will come to you. 

Two. Planning posts is key.
When I first started the blog I planned every post I wrote at the beginning of each week so that whether I scheduled ahead by five days or wrote a post the night before I had a clear plan for what I wanted to say and didn't forget any important points. Some posts are better written then and there but I find just jotting down a few points I want to make helps me create a much better post. 

Trois. Being inspired by other blogs isn't copying. 
I read other blogs every day and follow my favourites on bloglovin. Sometimes I'll think oh that's a really good idea I'd like to do something like that. Obviously I'm not going to copy the blog post exactly but taking something away from another blogger's post and using it to inspire your own isn't a bad thing. Linking the original into your own post and letting the blogger know is also a great way to make connections, everyone loves to see their posts inspiring others.

Four. A lifestyle blog is anything and everything you want it to be.
Everyone's lifestyle is different so every lifestyle blog is going to be different. And it doesn't have to be about expensive candles, your latest trip to Paris or a recipe featuring ridiculously healthy ingredients to be successful (although we all love those posts). Write about your lifestyle, if you try to be something other than you it won't work.

And finally Five. Views are not what it's about.
Although every blogger loves getting more views with every post, and new followers on bloglovin for me that's not the be all and end all. It's great don't get me wrong and of course I want as many people as possible to read what I'm writing and feel inspired by it like I do with my favourite bloggers but I started this as a hobby and so I want to keep it fun and carry on posting what I want to and not what I think will get me more views or more followers. Again being you is what makes a blog succesful, trying to be succesful won't work.

So that's it a few little lessons I've learnt recently and will continue to remind myself of. Hopefully you'll get something from this too. 

What lessons have you learnt and like to remind yourself of?

Until tomorrow

2 comments:

  1. Great post. I agree that every now and again a break from blogging is needed. i had this problem with my fashion blog, in the end i just gave in because I was trying to post regularly with Outfit posts and suggestions but it just killed my joy for firstly the blog and then fashion which i take a great deal of joy from normally.

    This is why when I started The Reluctant Wanderlust i decided that i would make sure i only posted when I have something i am truly happy with and keep blogging a hobby so it doesn't become a chore. I certainly do not want to fall out of love with travel.

    Glad to see you back again and looking forward to our collaboration.
    Emily Louise x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, I think as well if you post simply because you feel you have to the post isn't as good as you can make it. I want to only put things forward I'm proud of and I think if you're doing that that's the best way to gain followers of your blog. xx

      Delete