Friday 8 January 2016

Working 9 to 5

Displaying FullSizeRender.jpg
Working 9 to 5

Well the first week of January is drawing to an end, and as always isn't it going so quickly? I hope you've had a good start to the month and the new year and your first week back at school/college/uni/work - whatever it might be has been a good and happy one. 

I'm just coming to the end of my first week and my new job and wow what a week it's been. I'll be honest I was ridiculously anxious when Jack dropped me in the car park on Monday morning. We're talking the sweats, the shakes, feeling nauseous. Everything. It's normal to feel like that when you're about to start a new job though I suppose.

Since Monday though I've calmed down and settled into it a lot. I feel like I'm picking the stuff up quite well now, although it was completely daunting when I was first going through it all with my colleague. I've mastered invoices, purchase orders and I'm practically a black belt in Sage now. Not sage the herb to clarify.

I applied for the job online when at the beginning of December Australia and within a week I had an interview and I got offered the job that afternoon so I was very chuffed. However, before I got offered my job I applied for heaps of others and either heard nothing or got declined. It was depressing and I felt like I was getting nowhere and I was never going to get a job. 

The lesson here is definitely perseverance and determination. I've been there, we all have, where we're looking for a job and you stop applying because you think it will come to you or because you don't feel you're getting there. Keep going, keep applying and something will come. 

I applied for literally anything relatively local that seemed relevant to what I wanted to do or interested me. Also I took the mind set that it was all experience - being turned down, going for unsuccessful interviews it's always a chance to learn and improve. If you get turned down for a job either at application or interview stage don't be afraid to ask why you've been turned down what you get told might help you to change a few things about your application or interview style that could help you be successful next time. 

If any of you are looking for jobs at the moment I wish you all the luck and if like me you've just started a new one, congratulations and good luck in your job.

Until next time,


No comments:

Post a Comment