Friday 20 May 2016

The Marble Collector | Review

Just a quick side note to begin. The photo for the post was obviously taken a little while ago when  I first picked up the book but I really like the picture so decided to use it. So no we haven't still got mince pies around the house in May, although I wish we did. 


I've read a few of Cecelia Ahern's other novels and I've always really enjoyed them. They're great for times when you're not sure what to read or have been having a bit of a reading slump. Her writing is beautiful and her stories are light hearted but heart warming. However, just by reading the blurb it's obvious this book is different so I was bit unsure what to expect.

The story follows two narratives - Sabrina Boggs and her father Fergus Boggs. It begins when Sabrina comes into the possession of a collection of marbles from her fathers belongings. It sets her on the trail of finding out where they came from and what they mean. Fergus is in a nursing home in Sabrina's narrative but his narrative begins growing up in London and being obsessed with marbles.

The dual narrative of the story keeps the story exciting and moving. In a way there was a feeling of a detective mystery book as Fergus' narrative threw up questions for the reader that Sabrina would later discover the answer too. It also made the twists that happened throughout a little more exciting as we were discovering them through Sabrina's eyes who was also discovering things she didn't know about her father, rather than simply being told by Fergus in his narrative. 

In true Ahern style, this book is beautifully written. The prose is soft and calming whilst the story is fast paced and exciting which adds to the intense feeling you get while reading the book. It is different to any of her other books I've read in its story but the writing was just as enjoyable and beautiful. 

When I go to write a review I always go onto Goodreads to see what others have said, particularly if their views are opposite to mine. I feel it gives me a more rounded view of the book and opens my eyes to flaws that I might not have seen because I was enjoying a book so much. In this case a few people said they found 'The Marble Collector' bland and unexciting and I can understand that. There isn't always a lot happening and the prose is quite melancholic at times. However, for me that was part of the beauty of it but if you don't enjoy that sort of writing this book probably isn't going to be for you.

For me Fergus' chapters were the most enjoyable. They came across sepia toned and I really enjoyed picturing him and his brothers growing up in Ireland and learning how much his marbles meant to him. Sabrina's narrative was also enjoyable but it didn't feel as real or personal as Fergus'.

Overall 'The Marble Collector' was a heartfelt story about family, identities and memories.

What have you been reading recently? Let me know.

Until next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment