Monday 26 January 2015

Picking up a paddle board


If I told you I spent the weekend standing up on a board on a beautiful beach off the NSW coast, you'd probably think I'd been surfing. Well, lovely readers, you'd been wrong. I've actually been trying out stand up paddle-boarding, or SUP if you're really down with the kids. 

Stand up paddle-boarding is a fun water sport that developed out of surfing in Hawaii. It's probably been round for donkeys years but it really took off around 2005 and it's a big thing out here in the land down under. Another variety is simply paddle boarding where you can sit or kneel on the board, though in my opinion standing up is much more fun.

Jack and I are lucky that friends we're staying with at the moment have got a paddle board so we've been able to have a few adventures out recently. For someone like me, that would be someone with the balance of squirrel that's been on a five day bender, this is a great alternative to surfing. I know for a fact that I'd struggle with surfing because I have appalling balance, but these boards a wider, longer and more balance meaning I find it easier to stand up and stay standing up. Although it still took me a few tries to find the best way to stand a lot of 'Jack no don't leave me on my own'. 

You can use these of flat or choppier water which is great. When it's a bit choppier they tend to be used more like surf boards, hence I prefer finding the flat but it's a good way to try out some surfing. I've really taken to this water sport and really enjoy it as a good way to relax and enjoy the scenery whilst still being active.

You can hire boards all over Australia if you want to give it a go before forking out for one of your own, because they are a little pricey. Find links below for some SUP hire companies in some great locations, but you can literally find SUP hire shops all over the place so always go into surf shops if you want to have a go because it's great fun, and a great way to spend Australia Day. 


Have you tried stand up paddle-boarding? Let me know what you thought in the comments and if you've got any other water sports you think I should try. 

Until Wednesday,

No comments:

Post a Comment