Monday 12 January 2015

Reading goals 2015


Last year was the first year I decided to make 'reading resolutions'. It's not something I've really ever felt the need to make resolutions for, I read what I want, when I want and I enjoy it. However, last year I fancied setting a couple of challenges and also thought it would be a good way to cut down my TBR pile.

Well it would have been had I not failed a completing a single one of my reading resolutions. Every single resolution I made fell by the wayside when I started my course and then came out here to travel. My TBR pile is still insanely high and it still includes all the 'Song of Ice and Fire' books I haven't read, my bookshelf at home is still largely full of un-read books, I didn't read any non-fiction and I definitely didn't complete the 50 books challenge. So I think fail is the only word for the reading resolutions of 2015.

Nonetheless that has not put me off making more reading goals for this coming year. I did enjoy the idea of challenging my reading habits slightly and there are goals I actually have for reading so I figured why not?

This year instead of 50 books I've set my Goodreads challenge at 25 books. A lot more achievable for me as I continue to travel. Don't forget to follow me over there though to see what I'm reading and instant reviews when I finish the books. 

I want to try and read at least two books a month this year, with at least one of those being a book from my Kindle. Two books a month is very achievable considering I used to easily read four or five. I still have a heap of books on my Kindle, some that have been there since I got it so this year I really want to make the effort to knock some of those books into a 'read' pile. 

Reading more diversely is something I really want to try. A lot of my favourite booktubers and book bloggers are also doing this, this year so hopefully I'll get inspiration from them. I've found I often stick to the same genres and most of the authors I read from are American or English so this year I want to broaden out into more genres and also to authors from different cultures and countries and also that are writing about different cultures and countries. 

Last year I challenged myself to read 5 non-fiction books and as already stated I read none. This year I just want to read some non-fiction, no set amount just some. If I read one non-fiction book I'll be happy although I'd like to read more. 

Again, I've already said my TBR pile hasn't really shrunk over the last year. This year I want to change that. I want to try and half my TBR, including both physical books and kindle books. I know I won't read all the books that I own that I haven't read because most are in England and my TBR pile is enormous but I'd be happy with around half. 

Let's hope I'm more successful with those reading goals than I was last year. Don't forget to follow me on Instagram for #currentlyreading posts and of course on Goodreads

Have you made any reading goals for the year? If you have let me know in the comments below and also let me know if you have any good non fiction recommendations. 


No comments:

Post a Comment