Wednesday 23 March 2016

Notes from a Big Country | Review

Notes from a Big Country, Bill Bryson Review


I first picked up this book about 3 years ago and I just couldn't get into it. I found it difficult to read more than 20 pages at a time and it was taking me a lifetime to get through it. That bugged me so I put it down. However, I really wanted to read it. I've read a couple of Bryson's other books, not his travel writing mind you, and loved them so I was determined to try this again. My TBR jar seemed like the perfect opportunity to force myself into picking it up again.


So you can understand why I was slightly anxious to start this again. 

Notes from a Big Country is a collection of columns that Bryson wrote upon returning to America after living in the UK for many years with his English wife and children. The columns feature all sorts of things in American life that had become foreign to Bryson after living in the UK and also had no 'magic spark' like they often did for his wife and children. 

The book was good but at the end of the day it is a collection of columns and there is not story, plot or progression to them. It is a similar set up to Caitlin Moran's 'Moranthology'. Therefore if you're not the type of person who only enjoys a book with plot development and a bit of a story then this isn't going to be for you as the columns are like comments on the American way of life. 

As with the first time I read this book I struggled to read a lot in one go. It gets quite monotonous and dull after a while and I began to feel like I was reading the same thing over and over when I read too much of it at once. However, saying that it is the perfect book for a quick bus or train journey when you know you're not going to get a whole chapter in as the columns are short and easy to read. However, it is not a rainy Sunday, curl up on the couch with a blanket kind of book. 

All in all the book was relatively enjoyable, but not one I'd read again. Like I said it was quite dull and monotonous and also it wasn't really something I find interesting. However, I am looking forward for the star that reads 'Notes from a Small Island' to see how I get on with that as it is not Bryson's writing I dislike. 

Have you read any Bill Bryson? Let me know you're thoughts in the comments.

Until next time,


No comments:

Post a Comment