Tuesday 7 January 2014

In Which My Tickets Arrive and I Nearly Have A Panic Attack Over Hand Luggage | Tuesday Travels




So this week was both, and simultaneously, exciting and distressing (one thing you will learn about me if you read my blog regularly is that I tend to over exaggerate). The tickets arrived, exciting, wasn't sure if I was allowed any hand luggage, distressing. Details to follow.

So I booked my ticket to fly from London Heathrow on May 11th 2014 and land in Brisbane International Airport on May 13th 2014 (yes that's two days but don't worry time difference does have it's uses) with TrailFinders, can't tell you when I'll be returning but I'll save that for another post. You may or may not, most likely the former, be aware that my significant other is currently in Australia and this is who he booked with so that was the main reason I went with them as we have to arrange to fly back on the same flight and it will be easier through the same agents and airline. However I did do some shopping around and would definitely advise booking with TrailFinders.

Originally I went to my local high street travel agents and for the exact same flight was quote £300 more than TrailFinders quoted me. Obviously this won't always be the case, but it's worth checking else where before you book anything. I also contacted STA travel  who the visa people recommended. They did match TrailFinders quote so they're also one worth looking into, but for me I felt more comfortable with TrailFinders due to my personal circumstances.

I'm flying with Korean Air, I can assure you not my first choice, but again it comes down to ease of arranging for me and Jack to fly back together. That's who he flew with. They're not the cheapest by any means, so if you're looking for cheap go elsewhere, and again definitely shop around. However, it's a relatively nice flight with a stopover in Seoul so it's not as horrific as it could be. Something to be aware of when booking though is being aware of how and when to check in and also if the airline offer seat reservation, when you can do that. As well as this you also need to be aware of any immunisations you might need if you have to leave the airport during your stopover. I don't have to on the way out but on the way back it's an over night stop over so I will have to enter Seoul to stay in a hotel, arranged by the airline (another thing you should be sure to check, you don't want to get your stopover city and find you haven't got anywhere to stay) so I may need top ups on my jabs.

Anyway, you're probably wondering when I'm going to get onto the hand luggage panic. Well, when my tickets arrived the information only mentioned being allowed one item of luggage. You can imagine my horror and the thought of  not being able to take hand luggage, filled with things I think are essential for a flight, things that probably won't even be touched for the duration of the trip let alone the plane journey. But genuine worry was a thing I was feeling. Where would I put my phone, my kindle, the twenty one tubes of pringles I'll buy after check in? I was immediately on the phone to TrailFinders. Apparently hand luggage is a given and the one piece refers to hold luggage. So I feel like an idiot but the panic is over.


No comments:

Post a Comment