Sunday 23 February 2014

How to spend a Saturday | The Weekend Post

I spend five days a week quite stressed out about how much I have to do. This is week it definitely got the better of be and I let it get on top of me and stress me out to the point where I had to ring my mum for a cry. I was shattered like I've never been shattered before, I'd slept through my alarm and was running late and I knew I had a mountain of work to do that seemed unclimbable - sorry for the very poor metaphor. At the moment even when I get home from a college that's not a time I really have to sit down and relax. I normally get in, sit down for five minutes with Terri to talk about our days and watch the news headlines, go and do some work, have dinner and sit for half an hour with my uncle, go and do more work, face time with mum & dad and sometimes Jack depending on how early he's awake, go and have a cup of tea and watch the news and then go to bed.

Therefore, I have never relished weekends like I do at the moment. Even when I have work to do I can get a fair amount done and still have a good amount of hours to enjoy the day. I still get up at 9am which is something I never thought would happen unless I had good reason, but it happens and I suppose I have to admit it's the first sign of getting older. Nevertheless, this Saturday I did just that. I made myself breakfast then sat down to work for two hours and got a good amount done. I planned a couple of blog posts for the future, made the pictures for this weeks posts, did my law homework and topped it all off with a two mile run. Successful morning.

Mum and me decided in the week, post mini breakdown, that we'd spend Saturday afternoon strolling around the local village of Steyning. So we did. It's one of our favourite ways to spend a Saturday, especially when the weather turns out to be decent.

Steyning is a lovely little village not far from Brighton, and it's a proper village - a pub, a couple of cafes, a school, a church all those things that make up a village. It's full of quirky and independent shops, shops you can browse without feeling obliged to buy. If you want to buy someone a gift, have no ideas, head to Steyning. I can assure you'll find something you didn't think you'd find. Me and mum did go with the intention of finding my dad a little trinket for his birthday, but that was to no avail purely because we had something in mind but they didn't have what mum wanted. However, that did not put a downer on the day. The sun was out, the streets were busy, and there were sunflowers for sale, always a winner. A village day out wouldn't be a village day out without a cuppa and a slice of cake. We went into the tea rooms in The Cobblestone Walk (which is the cutest little collection of shops/stalls that you should definitely check out if you're in the area). Chocolate and orange was on the menu for me. I've decided no chocolate this week and possibly throughout lent (yes that will include mini eggs but I that's likely to change by Thursday) so this weekend I gorged on all things chocolatey. 


Once we'd finished wanting to eat everything in the sweet shop, buy every quirky item, and buy every bunch of flowers in site we headed to Asda. Very dull, I know. But the weekly shop is a must. All things healthy were in my basket for the week ahead, salads and fruit being the main theme of the shopping bags this week. I even swapped the dunkable Belvita's for a healthier. Again something I'll probably regret as I find myself dunking a twix bar into my 10am cup of tea in Wednesday's shorthand lesson. 

I finally went to see 12 years a slave last night. What? My god was it good. Harrowing, undeniably harrowing in so many ways but an amazing film nonetheless. Steve McQueen is clearly a genius and the actors and actresses couldn't have done a better job. Awards received so far well deserved. Although Fassbender needs one because his performance is outstanding. Possibly might review it for the blog but we'll see, I'm undecided as of yet. 

So my ideal Saturday was pretty much wrapped up in one big bundle yesterday and I felt a lot better for it. Today I'm planning on going for a run, having a chat with Jack as he's been away for the weekend, probably taking the dog for a walk and then enjoying roast beef before heading back to Brighton to do it all again.

Hope you enjoyed your weekend! 

No comments:

Post a Comment