Thursday 13 February 2014

Valentines: Cheap Alternatives | Thursday Talks

It's Valentine's Day tomorrow, already I know. We all do it, we all tell our partners, no fuss, no presents, just a normal day. The classic 'I don't need a special day to show you how much I love you' line. Get a grip. Spoiling the one you love is nice and you enjoy just as much as they do. Every year, no matter how many times you spout that line, or tell each other not to get anything you always will. But my Lord, it's expensive. The average box of chocolates is three pounds more expensive than it was yesterday or will be tomorrow, a bottle of wine will make you forget you even got paid this week, and to go to dinner you may as well sell the house, the car and your body. You want to spoil that special someone but that's just ridiculous. So here are my ways to impress without going bankrupt.


A trip to Paris. How romantic, the city of love and all that. But for flights and hotel over the Valentine's weekend you're looking at around £500. PER PERSON. If I found out that my other half had paid that much to take me away for a weekend I'd ask him where he'd left his brain. No one should expect you to pay that much to show your love and make them happy. It's a lovely gesture and if you can afford it than great but there's more important things than a Valentine's, overpriced, weekend away, things I'd rather spend a grand on. Instead, set the Parisian vibe. Bring coffee and croissants up to bed Valentine's morning, or if you're rushing out to work on Friday wait until Saturday. You don't want it to be a quick 'here's some croissants love, enjoy your day.' Sit in bed together and talk whilst you munch on your £500 saving.

Jewellery is quite often, and I am not exempt, the way to a girls heart. But Valentine's day is not the day to be splurging on expensive pieces of metal. Save that for the Birthday's and Christmas'. Buy an expensive ring for Valentine's day, what's she going to be expecting for her next Birthday, think about it. Not a good situation to put yourself in. Don't get me wrong I'd love to open that iconic blue Tiffany box - hint, hint. (I'm joking definitely joking). But for Valentine's day, no thanks. Instead grab a bag of Haribo and pick out the rings, much more fun and let's be honest a lot tastier. Also won't use up your life time savings in one purchase. That tiffany ring is lovely though. JOKING.


Dinner. As I said, prices are up on Valentine's day. They're not stupid, they know lovers will pay over the odds to impress their loved ones and make them feel special. Don't succumb to it. And let's be honest, it's always half the size of the meal you really wanted and even that glass of wine isn't making it better. Want my opinion? No, well you're getting anyway. Cook up a hearty, winter warmer, grab a bottle of wine (you've scrimped on the meal so you can splurge on the plonk) and bob's your uncle. In this weather, a big bowl of stew and dumplings, or sausage and mash with gravy would be my top choice over being dragged out in the rain and wind to sit in a crowded restaurant and pay over the odds to be able to hear the couple next me arguing about why he didn't buy her the Tiffany ring over what my other half is trying to get across. Winter warmer over fancy meal for me anytime.

So the movie people have done it again, there's a new romantic movie out. It won't be overpriced, no more than cinema's are anyway, but it will be packed. And if you'd rather be surrounded by the smell of sweaty adolescents as they try to woo their date and sneak that arm round the shoulder than be my guest, me I'd rather a cosy night in with homemade popcorn, a classic flick and a huge blanket. Popcorn seeds cost at most £2 and take like five minutes to create, sprinkle some sugar, syrup or, if you're a weirdo, some salt over it and hey presto. I wouldn't recommend the notebook unless you want to be a mascara sodden mess next to your other half by the end of the night but something romantic and funny, commonly known as a rom-com is the best way to go. Think Bridget Jones and you're there.

So that's it, four ways to make your Valentine's Day feel less like you've been visited by the debt collectors. Hope you enjoy your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment