Saturday 15 February 2014

The First Published Article | Finally Friday


This week was quite an exciting week. I got an e-mail on Monday morning informing me that I'd have the article I sent to the Chichester Observer (my local paper) would be published. I contacted them last week asking if they had anything they needed someone to write over Valentine's period with a couple of ideas of my own and received an e-mail  back saying they liked my idea about including mine and Jack's Valentine's situation in the article along with some cheap and different ways of spending Valentine's. So that's what I did. I got a 600 word piece (not bad for my first published article) a full page with four of my own photos. Very impressed and very happy. Not a bad start to the week or a bad start to the whole journalism thing.

As part of the NCTJ we had a court visit this week. Me and and twelve others trundled along, in the rain, to Brighton Magistrates court to use a court proceeding for one of our portfolio pieces. It was a really good experience and we got some good cases (good in terms of writing about them, not good in terms of what was happening). It's not something I'd rush back to do as it was a little boring and monotonous at times but overall it was a life experience.

When we left court the sun was out for the fist time in weeks. Over excitement due to the sunshine and due to the prospect of something else for lunch other than an Asda sandwich, we decided to head into town to find something to eat. Gemma suggested Pompoko somewhere I'd never heard of but was happy to try on hearing it was Japanese food and cheap. The key to my heart. It was really good food. Tasty and cheap, I'll definitely be returning. £5.80 for a HUGE bowl of rice topped with prawns marinated in ginger, honey and soy sauce with peppers and onions and a can of coke. It was more than enough to munch on for lunch and I was incredibly happy with my choice. The only thing that made it better was the 3pm Creme Egg snack break.

This week me and Jack hit the 3 month countdown until I get to Aus. It was exciting seeing as we're officially over half way in between him leaving and me getting there and it's gone so quickly. Even more so now I'm busy with the course and he's busy re-vamping the van and looking for work. It's exciting don't get me wrong but there's still a lot to happen and also get done before I land on 13th May. Eee. Excited face.

My hair's growing. You may not know this but at the end of 2012 I cut my hair (at the time below my waist) up to above my shoulders. So much hair. I loved it for the first two weeks then hated it forever after that. I was so happy when it got below my shoulders but I caught how long it's looking in the mirror the other day and nearly squealed. It's not far of how long it was before I cut it which made me super happy. Definitely a good week this week.

In case you missed it it was Valentine's day this week. I thought I could revert back to a crying mess of missing Jack but it was fine I got to talk to him throughout the morning and he's camping this weekend so I'm keeping busy doing blog stuff and course work so it's not too bad. Of course I'd have preferred it if he could have been here but we'll get over it and here's too many more Valentine's Days together. I also did a couple of fun illustrations with a Valentine's theme. So maybe, if journalism fails, greeting card designing?

So that was my week, sorry this didn't actually go up on Friday but I couldn't get a picture of my article for the post until today when I came home so you got it now. Anyway, hope you've all had a good week and enjoy your weekend.

Until Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment