Thursday 6 February 2014

Who Knows Where This Is Going? | Thursday Talks

You might be able to guess from the post title, but I don't really know where today's post is going. This is the first blog post that I've written since starting this daily blog thing where I haven't had notes written down in my notebook beside me to help guide me through the blog post writing process. Ideas seemed to have dried up inside my brain and been swept into the deepest, darkest corners of my mind where I keep the disturbing stuff that I see on the internet before I sleep (I'm talking Greg James' Wrecking Ball parody disturbing, just for clarification). I suppose we'll run with the no plan blog post for today, see how it goes and you never know maybe I'll be a martyr of my own blog. I don't know if that's possible but run with it. They're might be a lots of just run with it in this post.

The first being shorthand. Just run with it is a common train of thought throughout the three hour mind numbing submission to childlike scribbles that Roxanne (a marvellous woman who's mind can't control her mouth) is still trying to convince me, and the twenty four others, represent letters. The answer when you're confused tends be 'because it is' or 'in context it will make sense.' I've come to the conclusion that it's best just to accept it and move on, over thinking it just complicates it. Read the scribble, know what letters it makes, move onto the next. This is a very hard concept for me, who refused to get my head around GCSE level Algebra because it didn't make sense. Well I suppose it shows growth if nothing else. 


However, I'm not really sure that's the best attitude to have general, in fact I know it's not. If we just accepted everything as we were told it was, nothing would change or develop and discussion would be at minimum level. Accepting things (well most things, if you're learning shorthand it's best not to think in the way I'm about to mention) as we first encounter them, and not questioning them makes developing said thing and making it better very hard. It would be like handing in a first draft of an essay and expecting it to come back with full marks. You have to work on things, question them, discuss them, develop them and change them to make them the best they can be. I'm sure someone, somewhen has done that with shorthand, but in my mind they didn't do it very bloody well. 

One thing I know for definite is that shorthand is quite literally sending me delirious. Yesterday evening I spent a good twenty five minutes googling adjectives synonymous with confusion followed by various animals i.e. confused animal > confused dog > annoyed dog > annoyed cat. I finally landed on this beauty: 
And this is my shorthand face. If you were to look on my twitter feed you'd find five similar photos of various confused looking animals as me and some classmates spent an hour of our time comparing our 'shorthand faces' personally I think t-shirts should be made. Delirious, see? That's not where the delirious-ness ends either, much to my embarrassment. Monday lunchtime we spent a fair amount of time discussing the ideal water to couscous ratio and the embarrassment felt by one classmate after he was banned from all Co-Ops in Brighton for being caught stealing. The item in question, bay leaves. Could you get a more upperclass case of shoplifting? 

I think that's all I really have to say. I should probably stop there before I embarrass myself, or more importantly any more of my classmates who, at present, are the only ones getting me through the long hours of shorthand and every minute that passes after 3pm in the afternoon (the time I've recently found to be the time I start shutting down, not ideal).

I suppose considering none of this was planned, it didn't go too badly? 



No comments:

Post a Comment