Thursday 10 April 2014

Let's make breakfast exciting | Thursday Talks


Breakfast is the one meal a day that has to ability to get boring through repetition. Think about it, you'd never have the same dinner twice in a row. Unless like me your family think they have to make Shepard's Pie and Lasagna for eighteen people rather than the four they make every other dinner for. But in normal circumstances dinner and lunches vary daily. Why not with breakfast? I'll tell you, it's early and you can't be bothered to think of something else to have so Monday-Friday its cornflakes and maybe you'll switch it up on the weekend. It doesn't have to be this way. I love breakfast time, mainly because its socially acceptable to eat at 7am or on a bus as is often the case nowadays, but also because I like switching it up.


Breakfast is such an important meal in the day, I know you've heard every doctor/health person say it, but it's true. It gets your digestive system kicking so treat it well and it will do the same to you, start the day as you mean to go on. My breakfast larder mainly consists of oat based cereals like granola and porridge and weetabix, because weetabix is God's gift to breakfast cereals. I then pack on different additions to make each day different. Apart from bananas, bananas are a daily morning requirement. 


Weetabix, yes I promise there's one under all that banana, is a great start to the day. Full of energy and super filling to keep you hanging on until lunch time or at least until the 11 o'clock short hand break. When I was about five I remember loading it with sugar which I'm not going to lie was super tasty but my 20 year old self can't handle the 1/2 in the same way so sweetening it in a healthy way is the aim. Bananas and raisins are great for doing this with any breakfast and I add the almonds every now and again for a bit of protein and extra fibre. All good things going on here. 

Porridge is great for getting you going again. Packed full of energy and protein its just what you need to get the day starting in a good way. I make mine with half milk, half water as all that milk leaves me feeling a bit bloated. But you can just go all out milk or for healthier but still tasty options (all water is gross, don't do that to yourself) almond or coconut milk will go down a treat. I tend to top my porridge with either cinnamon or vanilla to sweeten again with the standard banana and again here I went for almonds though they're not a staple. 

Granola is probably one of my favourite breakfasts. Though you can't beat porridge in the winter granola is just so tasty and irresistible and if I don't have it for breakfast I normally take a handful to snack on dry though the day. Granola is the most filling of these four me and I sometimes have it with greek yoghurt rather than milk which is so filling I really don't need anything until lunch time. Granola is great because you don't have to add anything to make it tasty because it's already filled with lots of dried fruit and nuts but I sometimes add a few extra raisins or if I need to use up some fruit I'll chuck that in too.

So there we go. Making breakfast more exciting isn't as hard as you first thought. Pick up a few different cereals this week and try it out. It's not even more expensive because they last longer. Let me know how you get on. 




No comments:

Post a Comment