Tuesday 22 April 2014

Travel Essentials #1 | Tuesday Travels


It's just under three weeks until I leave for Australia and finally I'm allowing packing to enter my mind, although I can't let it take over just yet. As we're now getting closer to the day I get on that twenty-four hour flight, something that I'm definitely not letting take over my mind just yet, I thought Tuesday's (normally known as Tuesday travels) to become a travel essentials series. Only a few until I go detailing a few essentials that I feel are, well, essential for travelling. Of course there are things that I am taking because I'm going to Australia and wouldn't normally take so I suppose this is more of a long-haul/long-stay travel essentials but that's long a boring so we're going with travel essentials.

This weeks essentials is technology. The things we wish we could all live without, but when it actually comes down to it we can't. I'd love to go to Australia technology free but apart from anything else my mum would die if I didn't take my phone and I'd be a little upset if I didn't get any photos of this big part of my life. So here's a few gadgets and gizmos that I'll be putting into the bag in a few weeks time.

1) The Laptop
I normally wouldn't take my laptop on holiday with me. It's huge, weighs a tonne, and is simply an inconvenience. However, the laptop will serve as memory card free-er up-er over anything else. I.e. me and Jack can put all our photos onto the laptop as we want to rather than buying 101 memory cards that could end up getting lost or forgotten about. As well as this, although it's perfectly obvious I won't be able to continue blogging as regularly, I would like to get a few posts up every now and again and I also am doing a few posts for Travel & Trainers whilst I'm away and although iPhone's are great laptops are definitely easier when it comes to blog post writing.

2) Cameras x 2
Yes two cameras. Now you may be thinking, but Emily your baggage weight allowance will suffer so. Yes it probably will but as the owner of DSLR, and fellow DSLR owner's will understand, there are times when you really need your DSLR. Moments when a standard compact camera won't do the moment justice. However, there are other times when you think why have I bothered carrying this beast around all day, all I've got is shots of my family eating lunch. So for this reason, I will be taking my DSLR for those days when I know nothing else will do and my compact camera for those days where me and Jack are all day in the van eating, but memorable days none the less.

3) The Kindle
If you read my blog regularly and read Wednesday's posts you will know that I've always been planning on taking my kindle. It's great for the long plane journey in which I could potentially read two or three books, but with a kindle I don't have to lug around three huge novels sacrificing something else for them. It will also be good throughout the trip as I can easily buy new books when I'm done with what I've got without having to drag Jack into a book shop against his will. Kindle's were designed for times like these.

4) The iPod
Obviously. Since the early 21st century man has not travelled without some form of musical listening device. In the next few weeks I will deleting and updating my iPod to ensure it is fit for the long flight and expanse of time we will be travelling. I'm sure it will help pass any dull hours on the plane. I say any like it's only a possibility I'm going to be mind numbingly bored for a vast majority of the plane.

So there we are. My technology essentials for my trip to Australia and, apart from the laptop for all other trips you may undertake. Let me know if you have any other technological essentials you think I may have forgotten or anything that you take that's not on the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment