Thursday 13 March 2014

A healthy week | Thursday Talks

This week I've been making a very conscious effort to eat more healthily. Normally I'm just careful not to eat bad things during the week but don't really think about the things I am eating. This week I've been watching the calories and trying to keep things as far away from fats and carbs as possible apart from the good ones that you sometimes get.

Anyway, because of this decision I've been making a few things in the kitchen myself. This way you know exactly what's going into your food and you don't end up with loads of added sugar and things that you don't really want to be eating if you're trying to be healthy. So today I thought I'd share with you a few of things I've rustled up this week.


Green smoothies are great for your health. Anything that's green is generally really good for you, don't be silly though I obviously don't mean green smarties or skittles. Green vegetables and fruit we're talking here. In this Monday morning concoction I added half a mug of cold green tea, half a frozen banana, a handful spinach, six green grapes, a little pomegranate juice, and a tablespoon of low fat coconut yoghurt. I know spinach in a smoothie sounds vile but you can hardly taste it amongst all the other things. I like spinach so it wouldn't be a problem for me but if you'd still not rather go near the spinach maybe try cucumber instead. Just keep it green. 


So this was Monday's dinner. Meat is full of carbs, not all of them good ones but fish is a great substitute for when you're cutting down. Though sometimes you can't resist a steak, I know but when I'm being super conscious of what I'm taking in fish is the better option. This peppered smoked mackerel from Tesco is already cooked eaten cold, all I had to do was take it out the packet. I had it with a few crushed potatoes which I doused with and olive oil, garlic and parsley concoction all served on a bed of wilted spinach. It was very filling despite only using three new potatoes and went down a treat. 


These protein pancakes are a great way to start the morning. Packed full of lots of goodies to see you through until lunch. They're also super easy to make. Just blitz two eggs, a handful of oats and a banana in a food processor. Let the mixture sit for two minutes then fry them in a pan with a little oil. They're great topped with a drizzle of a honey and fruit of your choice. I opted for a few tinned apricots. Tinned fruit is great but make sure you get it in juice not syrup for the healthier option.


Tuesday's lunch was left over from Sunday's dinner. One of dad's concoctions. I can't tell you how to make it but I can tell you what was it it and that it tasted bloody great. So there's chicken thighs, skinless, chorizo, chickpeas, courgette, celery, onion, garlic, tinned tomatoes and a sprinkling of parley. I'm assuming you fry everything off before covering with the tomatoes and chickpeas and leaving to cook for a little while. But I can't be sure.


So this was yesterday's lunch, a bit of a rushed affair but scrummy nonetheless. Again a bed of spinach, it appears nearly everyday cause it's so easy and tastes great without doing anything to it. Much better as a salad base then lettuce. I then topped with grilled tomatoes, some chickpeas and a little feta that I had left in the fridge. Spinach so filling so when you're trying to cut down it's great because you don't need a lot of it and mixing it with a few other veggies and bits is a great way to get a lunch that's super good for you but also will keep you going until dinner. 


Lastly, last night's dinner. Stir fry. Now I thought stir fry was kinda unhealthy due to the word fry but stupid me, it's not really if you go about it the right way. I bought a vegetable stir fry pack and rice noodles, rather than egg noodles, and added half a tin of tuna and a little chilli sauce. It was really scrummy, super filling and one I'm looking forward to doing again with what's left over. 

So that's my healthy week so far, this morning I'll be dining on poached egg on a slice of wholemeal. I'll be finishing of the chicken stew (there's hardly any left) and tonight I'll be dining on a reduced fat spag bol. Scrummy. Hope you're keeping as healthy and hearty as you all can, and if you try any of these out or have any suggestions don't forget to let me know. 


No comments:

Post a Comment