Wednesday 12 March 2014

The book sacrifice tag | Wednesday Reads



If you're confused about what's going on here, I would recommend watching this video before reading this post. So this all stems from having books that you dislike for whatever reason. Everyone has them, even those who love reading, me included. Life would be too perfect and too easy if I loved every book I picked up and probably very, very boring. So here are some of the books that I dislike most. As Ariel said in her video this is just a bit of fun, it's not mean to be offensive just a bit of fun.

One book I've read and felt was overhyped massively was One Day by David Nicholls. I had it on good authority that this was going to be a good book. Friends had recommended it, I had seen it on booktube and when I got around to buying it I was aware they were making a movie out of it. However, I really didn't enjoy it. I found the story to be boring, I didn't connect to the characters and nothing really happened. I felt the parts that had probably been created to be shocking weren't shocking and were actually quite predictable. The story line I found to be quite repetitive and dull and it didn't really go anywhere, only where I was expecting it to go. Overall, I found the book dull and it was the only book I read last time that I was glad to be finished with. So I guess that's a bonus.

A sequel I hated was Breaking Dawn by Stephanie Meyer. Yes I read the Twilight series, which fifteen year old girl didn't, and at the time I really enjoyed them despite what my now 20 year old mind tells me about them, but that's another discussion. Anyway, out of the four books this was my least favourite. It's the biggest book by quite a considerable amount but it has the least content. By that I mean nothing happens. Can you notice a running theme in my dislike for books? The ending was, without over exaggeration, the most anti-climatic ending I've ever read. So if you're thinking about reading the Twilight series for whatever reasons, who am I to judge, I wouldn't worry too much if you don't get round to Breaking Dawn.

The classic I have the most dislike for, that I've read, is Lord of the Flies by William Golding. I read this at school for GCSE and when I say read I read the first half and got no further. I couldn't get through it. Despite the action and excitement I found it boring and stretched out. I don't really have much else to say cause I only read the first half but what I can say is I found the first half dull.

My least favourite book generally is Enduring Love by Ian McEwan. I know a lot of people love McEwan and I would like to read more of him, especially Atonement but this one I just didn't get along with. I found the narrator annoying, selfish and whiny I found the other characters pretty similar and I found McEwan's writing bland on the most part. I found the story line to be hugely staged and false which bugged me the whole way through. This was another occasion where I was glad to get to the end. But I suppose at least I got to the end.

So there four of my most hated books. I hope you enjoyed this tag, it's a bit different to hearing me waffle on about a book I love so that's why I did it. Let me know what your least favourite books are in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment