Wednesday 26 March 2014

Book recommendations for your mum | Wednesday Reads

My mum doesn't read. Not because she can't, or so she says, but because she doesn't enjoy it, or so she says. However, I am, quite clearly I think, an avid reader and so often have books that I've wanted to pass on to people, one person being my mum. I have tried on occasion to get my mum to read a couple of books I've really enjoyed but she either point blank refuses, says she'll try but never does, or gets past the first chapter - an accomplishment. Due to this I have a few books that I'm going to recommend for you to give your mum's this mother's day.

1) Before I Die, Jenny Downham 
This is a beautiful story of a young girl with terminal cancer essentially ticking off her bucket list. It's obviously heart wrenchingly sad but it's also beautifully written, funny and heat warming. I gave this to my mum when I finished it last summer and she actually got nearly half way through. Probably a good job cause I'm not good with tears, and there would have definitely been tears. However, my mum getting half way through is reason enough to buy it - hint it means it's good.

2) The Help, Kathryn Stockett 
This book is great. It's not the easiest read and I did struggle to get into it at times, so if you're mum is like mine this isn't going to be the book for her. However, overall the reading experience is delightful. The topic is handled truthfully and tastefully and again is funny, heart warming but also really sad in places. Something that mum's love no? It's the story of black maids in the deep south secretly outing their 'masters' if you like. Not the best description so go buy it to find out what's really going on.

3) Never Let Me Go, Kazuo Ishiguro
This is another relatively slow story but again moving and deep. It's a great spring time read to be read with a glass of white wine and a cool spring evening. It's the story of three young adults coming to terms with their futures that have been kept secret from them. It's quite mysterious and dark and there's a huge social commentary piece running through it but it's not critical to the story it's just something that's noticeable if you look for things like that in books.

4) The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets, Eva Rice
This is probably the most mumsy book on the list. Set in the 1950's and about a young girl discovering itself it's truly happy and so easy to read. There's no deep underlying theme, no dark subject matter, and no huge deaths. It's fluffy and cute from beginning to end so perfect if you're mum enjoys chick lit at it's finest.

5) My Dear, I wanted to tell you, Louisa Young 
A world war 1 novel with a difference. If you're mum is into her history and likes historical fiction this a great one for her. There's more too it than just the trenches, blood and gore. Something I've not found in any other WW1 based novel. It's easy to read and thoroughly enjoyable, history buff or not.

So that's it. I hope you like my recommendations, let me know if you decide to get one for your mum or if you have any you'd recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment