Friday 21 March 2014

DIY Manicure | Thursday Talks


I love painting my nails! I know that sounds so girly, but it's true. I've always got my nails painted, if you've seen me with bare nails you know you're a true friend cause that's a privileged thing to have seen if you're in my acquaintance. I hate having nothing on my nails, I just think my hands look so bare and dull and boring without nail varnish and now because I've been painting them so much my nails look gross without it. I do my nails about once a week and try to do them properly, although life means I don't always have time. However, I've picked up a few tricks and tips and I thought I'd share them, and my at-home/DIY manicure routine with you.

Firstly the tips and tricks...

* Make sure your nails are super clean before painting them! Once you've done all the other prep steps wipe them over with a cotton pad with a little nail varnish remover until they're literally squeaky clean. This makes the nail varnish last a lot longer and also your nails are super clean - always good!
*Don't use a buffing box every time you paint your nails! If like me you paint your nails once a week, it can be tempting to use that wondrous invention that is the buffing block every time! Don't! Over buffing your nails will soften them meaning they break easier, and broken nails are not a good look!
*Splurging on a top coat is an essential! If you want your nail varnish to last 5-7 days get a decent top coat. Your nails will last so much longer and also top coats can smooth any kinks in the coloured varnish over!
*Wash your hands before starting! This is particularly essential if you're going to file your nails. Washing your hands, more importantly your nails, means the nail is softer and less likely to break or snap when your filing!
*Know your base coat! You know what your nail needs are, whether you want them to grow more, be stronger, whatever it is there's likely to be a base coat to suit your nail needs so shop around before you purchase!

So my manicure routine...
I find I don't need to cut & file my nails every time I paint them but when I do it's nice to take a little time over them to make sure the shaping is nice and there's no horrible loose bits of nail hanging off that will make the finish look scruffy. Choose a shape you like, pointy cruella nails seem to be in but personally I prefer shorter, squarer nails. Try and stick to the shape your nails grow naturally that way it won't look so odd when they start growing. I didn't need to use my buffing box this week but if I was going to I'd use it after filing and use sides two and three for smooth nails perfect for paining! Remember kids nail prep is key if you want your nails to look salon-esque and last!
There are many arguments about whether we should really push our cuticles back or not, but I do. It makes the finished nail looks much neater and if you wash your hands with warm water before hand, and use a cuticle oil or cream before pushing them back the process is so quick and easy.
I don't splurge on base coats like I do top coats as for me it's just to make sure my nails are kept strong whilst their painted and I also find using a base coat stops my nails staining as much. This one from Superdrug was £1.99 and does the job just grand.
The fun part, choose your colour and apply! I'm not in the party that says a nail varnish has to be expensive to be good, I've spent up to £10 on nail varnishes and they've lasted just as long and gone gloopy just as quickly as my cheaper ones. Collection is a great drugstore brand if you're on a tight budget but if you can afford to spend a little more Revlon polishes are my absolute favourites. I always find two coats is far better than one, even on polishes that say you only need one coat. Two thin coats just looks better to me.
The top coat! This is the step that will make those well prepped nails last. Without a top coat my nails are chipping within two days, with a top coat I'm talking the same colour for up to a week, depending on how heavy duty my hands are working. This Sally Hansen top coat wasn't too expensive and it does the job nicely, it will also double up as a base coat once my other one has run out which is a bonus. However, my favourite top coats are fast drying ones as I'm so impatient and hate waiting for my nails to dry. Fast drying ones often mean I can get on within 10 minutes of finishing, with this I find I'm having to wait up to half an hour to prevent any smudges or annoying sticking marks in my nails.


So that's it! My top tips and DIY manicure to make your nails looks salon-finished and keep it lasting for up to a week, though don't sue me if they don't! Hope you enjoy giving your hands a bit of a pamper, grab yourself a hand cream for a little extra luxury and why not extend the favour to your toes! 
Let me know how it goes!








No comments:

Post a Comment